Thursday, April 20, 2006

So I have made it to Seoul, or at least I think I am in Seoul. Could be Japan for all I know, as I am functionally illiterate here. So far it has been pretty easy to get around however, all the airport staff speak passable English (much better than my Korean anyway!) and are very friendly.

I may or may not make it UB tonight. The flight may be delayed or cancelled due to a sandstorm. I'll find out in a few hours.

Incheon airport is huge. I mean really huge. It makes Pearson International look like a third world bus-stop. There are more stores and shoppping than any mall I have ever been in (Rob, there is a North Face outlet). There was parade in here a few minutes ago, flowered floats, guys on stilts etc..

Other things about Korea, gleaned from my hour in the airport:

- Green tea tastes entirely different than the superstore brand (I think all of Korea must have it wrong)

- Internet is very cheap.

- Green tea is not.

- All lineups involve shoving, elbows, and jockeying for position. However, by local standards, I am a large man and thus not easilly shoved.

Having a great time so far. I'll update again from Mongolia as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Stef.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a funny thing to do... go to the Seoul Airport website, find the departure page then click on "translate"
Destinations in English include:

"Hemp Cloth Gong"
"propaganda"
"American Coconut Palm Height"
"Five company cars Manager"
"Difficult Gong"
"Will cry and the toe"

So much for checking on flights to Mongolia - so good luck and write when you find work.

Inga

Dr Mich said...

You managed to make a delayed flight sound interesting! I can't wait to read your descriptions of the desert!