Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bokhe





Bokhe, or wrestling, is the national sport of Mongolia. The guys wrestle on their lunch breaks, before dinner, during work etc... Pretty much like other people go for coffee. Goes without saying, they are pretty damn good at it.

The rules are simple, the first guy to touch the ground with a body part other than their feet or palms, is the loser. Grabbing, sweeping kicks, throws are all fair game.

For my first match, I challenged Batuchen, who, unbeknownst to me is the camp "lion" or undefeated champion. I think he let me stay on my feet for three minutes as a courtesy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That has GOT to be good for your wrist!

Is it my imagniation, or did you split your opponents pants?

Anonymous said...

Um.... wasn't there something in your employee orientation book that specifically said..."don't wrestle with the locals, they will kick your butt"?
I am pretty sure you were warned, but when in Mongolia....

Love the photos!!!

Stef said...

It is great fun! His pants have been split for a while. He doesn't seem to mind :-)

Anonymous said...

Please tell me someone got some video of you....that's what I want to see!

Dr Mich said...

There seems to be a picture missing...

...the one of you dumped on your arse!

It's good to see you blending in!