Sunday, April 22, 2007

Human Misery




According to the Lonely Planet guide to Mongolia, in the mid 1990's up to 6000 children lived on the streets of Ulaan Baator. They survive the -30 degree winters by living in the city's sewers with their underground heating pipes. Malnutrition, syphilis, scabies and lice are endemic. The problem is better now, but still exists. I have had children as young as two or three begging me for money. Now when I see a grown, able-bodied person begging on the street in Canada, I find myself lacking sympathy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish we could take some of those little guys and give them a life like our kids have.

Too bad all that money coming into Mongolia can't help the kids more.

Thanks for the shocking reality, it is important to know of it.

Stef said...

There are several NGO's here working on the problem. Hopefully things improve in the next couple of years.