Sunday, July 02, 2006

Canada Day




Canada Day in Mongolia was pretty low key. The number of people that knew the anthem was fairly limited and there are no gas stations around from which to buy fireworks.

We drank a toast to Canada with Airag, the local beverage made from fermented Mare’s milk. Airag is supposed to be good for the stomach. If by that they mean it can by used to induce vomiting, then yes, it is good for the stomach.

I hope everyone at home enjoyed your cold beers, BBQ’s, swims in the lake etc… Not that I feeling sorry for myself or anything…

S.

5 comments:

Dr Mich said...

If it makes you feel any better...

I spent most of Canada Day afternoon soaked to the skin after getting caught in a huge thunderstorm on my way to IKEA. I think I left a trail as I did my shopping!

On the way home the rain had stopped, but the bugs had come out. I couldn't bike up one of the hills fast enough to avoid getting eaten alive by mosquitoes!

To compensate for a miserable afternoon I spent a lovely evening in, with Johnny Depp and some Benadryl tablets!

BTW: The goats milk drink sounds terrible! Mich x

Anonymous said...

Hi Stefan,
We spent our Canada day at Cannon Beach in Oregon and it sounds like more fun that you had. Except for the 20 minutes we spent explaining why dollars are called loonies to a family from Colorado.
Pictures to follow...

Stef said...

Just as I suspected you all had more fun than me...

Mich, you are all grown-up now, buy a car :-)

Anonymous said...

I did think of you as I was swimming at the lake...does that help.

I'll buy you some fireworks to play with when you get home.

XOXOXO

Dr Mich said...

I will one day! It's my aim to climb out of one financial hole though, before I land myself in another one!

Besides, I can take my bike on the C-train and go just about anywhere (rain or shine) for $1.95. Why would I want a car?!

Oh and don't come to Calgary to celebrate Canada Day, I didn't see or hear a single firework all weekend! Booo! Mich x